Wednesday, April 1, 2020

March Wrap-Up + April TBR

Well. 
This month was wild. 
I can't believe how much the world has changed in such a short amount of time. In my province, everything non-essential has been shut down. Schools are closed. And most of us are now trapped at home, with nothing to do. 
Well.
Except us readers. We have the advantage of being able to go places without leaving the comfort of our living room couch. Or our beds.
I hope you all have been staying safe and practicing social distancing! And washing your hands. *shakes finger* That is very important.

Photo by BENCE BOROS on Unsplash


Alright, but enough about that. I'm sure you've heard more than enough on the news and social media to keep you occupied and anxious for a good long while. So instead, let's talk about books! Get our minds off of the craziness of the world right now for a minute. 

~ Read of the Month ~

Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer 
★★★★★


I have so many feelings about this book. It's a beautiful, heartbreaking, and hopeful book that deals with grief, guilt, and not judging people by their appearances. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great read!


~ Other March Reads ~

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson 
★★★


A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro 
★★★★


Because You Love to Hate Me by Various Authors, edited by Amerie 
★★★





April TBR

I only managed to read two of my five March TBR books. I am disappointed in myself. I'm currently reading both Throne of Glass and Thirteen Reasons Why (both on my March TBR) but I highly doubt I'll be able to finish them before the end of the month, and so they'll be included in next month's wrap-up.



What am I planning to read this April? Let's get into it.

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

I'm so excited to read this book. Partially because it's written by Victoria Schwab, and partly because it looks so delightfully creepy.
I don't know a lot about it, but I do know that it has something to do with a library... where human bodies are cataloged and stored on shelves. So yeah. Very creepy, but I have a feeling it's going to be good!

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

I've been meaning to read this book for a while, and I'm putting it on my TBR to give me a much needed prod to actually get around to it.
This is the first in a YA fantasy series that I believe is loosely based on the Roman Empire. 

There Will Come a Darkness by Katy Rose Pool

I totally cover bought this one. It's beautiful, and I really hope that the inside lives up to the outside. It's another YA fantasy series (a duology, I believe?) that has something to do with the end of the world.




My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodie Meadows, and Brodi Ashton

This book looks funny, and funny is what I need right now. Though since this is a reimagining of the history of Lady Jane Grey, maybe it won't be quite as funny as I was anticipating.

The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier

A creepy looking book by one of my favourite middle grade authors! Jonathan Auxier has a way with words, and I'm looking forward to reading another one of his books. 

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

If you've been following my blog for a while, it's probably pretty obvious why I have this book on my list. I'm a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson's work, especially the Cosmere, and so I'm trying to read every Cosmere book that is currently released. Elantris is next on my list!



And that about wraps it up! What have you read this March? Any recommendations? And what are you planning to read in April? Let me know in the comments!

Please subscribe by email for blog updates, or follow me on Bloglovin'!

6 comments:

  1. Of those, I've enjoyed My Lady Jane, An Ember in the Ashes, Sorcery of Thorns, and Because You Love to Hate Me. I'm one of the people who loathe 13 Reasons Why, but I understand why it's popular all the same. I could never get into Throne of Glass either. I keep hearing about Sanderson but haven't given him a go yet, and Archived and Night Gardener have both been on my TBR for a long time, for very much the reasons you listed! And I've never heard of Letters to the Lost, but you better believe I just added it to my TBR! I'm visited from the monthly wrap-up link-up, and I definitely think we have similar taste in books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to read My Lady Jane and An Ember in the Ashes! While I didn't love either Because You Love to Hate Me or Sorcery of Thorns, I did think they had some really good points.
      I'm still unsure of what I think about 13 Reasons Why. What are some of the reasons you dislike it? I finished it recently, and now I'm trying to hear some differing opinions about it to try to make up my own mind.

      Sanderson's books are incredible, and I definitely recommend trying some of his novels (especially his adult fantasy).

      Ah, I really hope you enjoy Letters to the Lost!
      And that's awesome! I always love connecting with readers who have similar tastes in books. :) Thanks for visiting, Wendy!

      Delete
  2. Now you need to read Rev's story in More than We Can Tell by Kemmerer. I just posted my review of it last week, and I loved it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so excited to read it! Rev was my favourite side character in Letters to the Lost, so I can't wait to get my hands on More than We Can Tell.
      I'm glad to hear you liked it so much! :)

      Delete
  3. Letters to the Lost was my first book by this author. Nicole and I did a dual review of More than We Can Tell (the reason I read book #1 first), and Rev is so awesome and a character I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rev is such a great character! :) I'm so, so excited to read More Than We Can Tell.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog