Thursday, March 26, 2020

Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

I've seen this tag everywhere in the online book community, so even though it's a few years old, I'm going to give it a try anyway. :) This tag and the tag questions were created by The Book Archer on YouTube.

Photo by Ed Robertson on Unsplash


1) A popular book or series you don't like

The Maze Runner by James Dashner and The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. Both of these books get a ton of hype in the bookish community, but I just... didn't connect with either story? You can read my reviews to get a better idea of why I didn't like them, but basically... The Maze Runner was juvenile. The characters changed to fit the plot, and there were multiple (very bad) plot holes. The Cruel Prince was slow, and I never rooted for any of the characters. I also hate that the fandom ships Jude and Cardan, since it's such a toxic relationship.



2) A popular book or series everyone else seems to hate but you love

I honestly could not think of one. Books that are hated... oh man, this is going to sound mean... but books that are hated are generally hated for a good reason. The only series that comes close is The Safe Lands Trilogy, which seems to get a lot of hate for the way it included tough topics and was marketed as Christian Fiction. I haven't read these books in years, so I have no idea if I'd still like them if I read the series again, but I guess I'll go with that.



3) A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you don't like

Oof. Will I name names? I know I'm going to offend somebody no matter what I pick. 'Cause I do have a few, unfortunately. To keep things civil, I'm going to go with a less well known YA series, Inkworld. I won't give too much information about the third book, Inkdeath, but Meggie did not end up with who I wanted her to end up with. It confused and disappointed me when I read it (granted, I read the book a long time ago, so my opinions might have changed, but... I don't think it's likely.)



4) A popular book genre you hardly ever reach for

Romance. I like a good romance subplot as much as the next person, but straight-up romance is something I hardly ever reach for.

5) A popular or beloved character you don't like

Tobias from Divergent. I hate him, honestly. Sorry. He's just... really not likeable? I don't know what else to say.

6) A popular author you can't seem to get into

Veronica Roth. I've tried a few of her books now, and I've always come away unsatisfied. Divergent had a good plot, but I didn't like the main characters, and while I liked the main characters in Carve the Mark, the plot never really started. So I guess maybe her books just aren't for me.



7) A popular book trope you're tired of seeing

The "everyone's a couple" YA trope. You know, where literally every major character is in a relationship by the end of the story? Yeah, I'm tired of seeing it. More platonic friendships, please!

8) A popular series you have no interest in reading

The A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas. I am planning on reading Throne of Glass, but I've heard that ACOTAR has a lot of sexual scenes in it that are... quite graphic. I know that I don't like reading these scenes, so I'll just avoid the series entirely. (Disclaimer: I have nothing against people who are fine with reading these books and scenes. They're just not something I, personally, like reading.)

9) The saying goes: "the book is always better than the movie", but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

The Lord of the Rings. I did like the books, but the movies are so much more enjoyable and magical for me. The characters feel so much more real in the movies than in the books, too.


I'm not going to tag anyone in particular, but if you're reading this and haven't done this tag already, consider yourself tagged! <3


And that's all for my unpopular opinions! What are some unpopular opinions you have? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. YES to number seven. It's my biggest complaint about the Lunar Chronicles, how neatly everyone is paired off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree, Wendy! The Lunar Chronicles is definitely guilty of that trope.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog