Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed but Hardly Ever Talk About

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme originally created by The Broke and The Bookish and is currently run by That Artsy Reader Girl

It's Tuesday again! I want to apologize for how few posts I've managed to get up in the last little bit -- you'd think I'd have extra time for blogging now that I'm stuck indoors, but apparently not! :P Know that I am not wasting away the time on Pinterest -- I've been focusing intensely on my fiction writing in the last little while, juggling two WIP novels and a short story. It's been fun. :)



But on to this week's prompt! I honestly thought I was going to have trouble coming up with the books for this week -- books I enjoyed, but rarely talk about. I'm a very excitable reader, who loves shoving her latest fave onto anyone who will listen. 
But when I started making this list -- surprise, surprise -- I came up with ten books easily. Apparently I'm not quite as excitable as I thought. :P

1. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: A British operative in Nazi-occupied France is captured and forced to reveal Allied secrets. 

I don't know why I don't talk about this book more, since I genuinely did enjoy it. I guess it just doesn't fit with any of the topics I've really focused on here. Maybe I should do a historical recommendations post? (Let me know in the comments if you'd be interested in something like this!)




2. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: Six dangerous outcasts, an impossible heist, small chance of success. Or survival.

I was as surprised as anyone when I realized just how little I actually talk about this book. Because I did like it. A lot, actually. I have no idea why it doesn't come up in my conversation more often. 




3. Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: As Wren's behavior and addictions spiral out of control, her parents send her to a wilderness rehabilitation camp.

This is definitely an underrated book! It's not something I would immediately pick for myself to read, either, so I'm really glad my book club forced me to pick it up, because I adored it. I thought it handled its subject matter really well, and I loved the female friendships in it as well. 



4. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: A strange new star rises in the sky, and normal people develop superpowers. But this isn't the beginning of a superhero story -- it's the beginning of the apocalypse.

I actually know why I don't talk about this one too much -- it's because Brandon Sanderson's other books are so much better. :P But Steelheart is actually really good, though it does have its flaws (and books 2 and 3 should not have been written, in my opinion). But a superhero dystopia is a really interesting concept, and the first book displayed this splendidly (along with some great plot twists).


5. The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

My Rating: ★★★★
One Sentence Description: With twelve hours until her family is deported, Natasha isn't looking for friendship, and definitely not love. But then she meets Daniel, and everything changes. Can you fall in love in a single day?

I read most of this book in a single day (so the same amount of time the story takes place over!) and I loved it. The ending actually had me close to tears. Was it because I was feeling particularly emotional that day? Maybe. But I do think it's a great book, and I really should recommend it more often.



6. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: Meggie's father has the ability to read characters out of stories -- with dire consequences.

This is a childhood favourite that I'm pretty sure stands the test of time. Inkheart is a story about every book lover's dream -- what if fictional characters could come to life? And it's fabulous. The audiobook narrator also does an amazing job. :)



7. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

My Rating: ★★★★
One Sentence Description: Online, Eliza Mirk is LadyConstellation -- the anonymous creator of the popular webcomic, Monstrous Sea. IRL, her life is falling apart.

I really enjoyed this book. It's another contemporary that I don't talk enough about. Eliza's passion for her story was really relateable for me, since I'm also a storyteller (though I don't think I'd have the patience to draw a webcomic!) I also really appreciated the anxiety rep in this story and thought it was very thoughtfully written.

8. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: A senior demon writes letters to his nephew instructing him how to capture the soul of a young man.

I know The Chronicles of Narnia is the series that makes C.S. Lewis's books famous, but honestly? I enjoyed The Screwtape Letters more. I think that the whole idea of it was superb, and Lewis is a genius storyteller -- using the most unreliable narrator possible in order to showcase so much truth. I thought it was a brilliant story, and I loved it a lot. 



9. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: The Dashwood sisters Marianne and Elinor are very different from each other, but draw closer together through the trials of love and heartbreak.

I think this was my favourite of Jane Austen's books. I loved Elinor and Marianne's relationship -- sisters in fiction so rarely have good relationships, so I enjoyed seeing theirs grow and develop. Plus, Captain Brandon was amazing. <3



10. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

My Rating: ★★★★★
One Sentence Description: Lina's family is forced into a Soviet work camp during a dark period of Lithuania's history.

This is another hard hitting book about World War 2. This book focuses on a dark period of World War 2 that not many people know about -- Stalin's concentration camps. It was a really impactful book, and I'm interested in picking up more of Sepetys's books. I guess that historical fiction must not be something I talk too much about. I should change that.



And that about wraps it up! Now it's your turn! What books did you enjoy but hardly ever talk about? Have you read any of the books on this list, and if so, what did you think of them? Let me know in the comments!




15 comments:

  1. Ah, some books I've actually read. Six of Crows is great. Screwtape takes a strong believer to appreciate. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/04/javan-tenebrae.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six of Crows is very good. I have no idea why I don't talk about it more.
      The Screwtape Letters is definitely not for everyone, which maybe is one reason I don't talk about it more (I like recommending things that a wide variety of readers can appreciate.) But I did very much enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised that I don't talk that much about Six of Crows either. I didn't put it on my list because I thought I talked about it more often, haha 😂

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shocked me when I thought of it, myself. I was sure I talked about it more than I did, but when I started thinking about it... suddenly I realized the truth. XD

      Delete
  3. Love this list! So many good books!! My TTT is here https://bookloverssanctuary.com/2020/04/14/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-enjoyed-but-rarely-talk-about/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sun Is Also a Star sounds really good.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wild Bird wasn't a favorite but I still enjoyed it and it is A DELIGHT to see someone else who knows it. All the hiking/camping detail just transfixed me, and you're right, female friendship gets to shine by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, finally another person who's read it! :D
      Yes, I loved the details about the camping and stuff, and I loved that it was actually accurate (like the part where she's building a fire and it doesn't work the first time. So, so accurate.)

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. I’ve read a bunch of these! I loved Code Name Verity, too, but I rarely talk about it. Probably because I read it way back when I started blogging.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Code Name Verity, too! Ha, ha, I can definitely see that. :P It's also very hard to talk about it without getting into plot spoilers, so maybe that's another reason?

      Delete
  7. I really want to read Between Shades of Grey and Eliza and her Monsters. However, I HAVE read Code Name Verity and I LOVE IT SO MUCH!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both great books! I hope you like them when you get around to reading them!
      Code Name Verity is such an amazing book, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I loved The Sun Is Also a Star, but never talk about it either. I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really deserves to be talked about more! XD

      Delete

Popular on This Blog