Thursday, April 16, 2020

YA Books to Keep on Your Radar in 2020

It was only very recently that I actually started keeping track of new book releases. Which was both a good thing and a bad thing, I guess. A good thing in that my TBR wasn't overflowing with new books, and a bad thing in that... I was never up to date with current releases. Ever. 
But I do try to keep up with current releases now, so fortunately (unfortunately?) I'm excited for some book releases this year. And mildly curious about others. 



So not all the books on this list are ones that I will 100% for sure will pick up, but they're ones that look interesting enough to me that I could see myself reading them. And of course, some are ones that I am desperately looking forward to and need to have in my hands right now --

Ahem. Sorry. Okay, let's just get into it. 



Unravel the Dusk [Blood of Stars, #2] by Elizabeth Lim

Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: July 7

I read and enjoyed Spin the Dawn last year, so I'm excited to pick up the sequel (and the conclusion to the duology!) this year. And just look at that gorgeous cover!




All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace

Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: February 4

I'm really excited to read this book, and I have no excuses since it released a month ago now! It's about a princess, pirates, and mermaids, and just sounds really fun. 
I really hope it's better than the last pirate/mermaid book I read!  





Incendary by Zoraida Cordova

Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: April 28

I've been interested in this book since before the cover was revealed. It looks interesting -- apparently, it's a fantasy loosely based on the Spanish Inquistition, and has something to do with a girl who can steal memories? It sounded cool, anyway, so it makes the list.





Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo

Genre: Contemporary
Release Date: May 5

This author is one I've heard a lot about, but I've never picked up one of her books before. I do think that this one looks interesting, though -- it's about two girls, who find out that they're half-sisters when their father dies in a plane crash. It's a novel in verse, which I've never read before, but I'm still really curious about this one. (The cover might have something to do with it.)




Harley in the Sky by Akemi Dawn Bowman

Genre: Contemporary
Release Date: March 10

This is a contemporary novel about a girl who runs away from her family's circus and joins a rival circus company. 
I want to read it just because of the circus aspect. I know, I'm so shallow.






Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

Genre: Dystopian
Release Date: May 19 

I'm looking forward to this with a mixture of hope and trepidation. When I found out that this Hunger Games prequel was going to focus on President Snow, I was... very worried. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. Regardless, I'm going to read it. But I'm not going into it expecting I'll love it.





The Enigma Game by Elizabeth Wein

Genre: Historical fiction
Release Date: May 26

I don't know anything about this book. Except that it's by Elizabeth Wein, the author of Code Name Verity, which is a fantastic book. But let me find a description so I can tell you something about it.
Okay, so it centers around an enigma machine that is smuggled into a small town, and the people who end up finding it. And it's based during World War 2, like many of Wein's other books. It looks interesting, so I'll be keeping my eye on it.



The Kingdom of Back by Marie Lu

Genre: Historical fantasy
Release Date: March 3

Historical fantasy is such an interesting genre, and when I found out about this book, I was instantly curious. It's about Nannerl Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's older sister.
I've heard mixed opinions about this book, but I'm still very interested in reading it at some point!



The Other Side of the Sky by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner

Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: September 8

I'm literally only interested in this book because Amie Kaufman (who co-authored The Illuminae Files) also co-authored this book. It seems to be about a forbidden romance between a goddess and human prince, and some politics thrown into the mix. 



The Silence of Bones by June Hur

Genre: Historical mystery/thriller
Release Date: April 21

This book looks so interesting! I do admit, I didn't really pay close attention to it when I was first looking at the releases scheduled for 2020, but once I read the description, I was intrigued. It's about a girl named Seol who is indentured to a police bureau, and has to help a young inspector with his investigation of a murder. It's a historical novel that takes place in Korea, which makes me really curious, as not much historical fiction seems to focus around Eastern countries and cultures. 


Thorn by Intisar Khanani

Genre: Fairy tale retelling
Release Date: March 24

This is a re-release of an older title, but it looks fun! I'm all here for fairy tale retellings, and a retelling of one of my favourite lesser known fairy tales -- The Goose Girl -- just intrigues me all the more. 





Fable by Adrienne Young

Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: September 1

I have not yet read any of Adrienne Young's books, but they all look so fascinating, so this one is going on the list! Fable is about a girl whose powerful father abandons her on a remote island, and her quest to regain her place at her father's side. It looks really cool, and I'm interested in reading it!




Night Spinner by Addie Thorley

Genre: Fantasy retelling
Release Date: February 11

Someone said 'literary retelling' so I'm here and present. This book is supposed to be a loose fantasy retelling of Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and even though I've never read the book (or watched the Disney movie) I'm still very curious!



And a few that don't have covers revealed yet:

Rhythm of War [The Stormlight Archive, #4] by Brandon Sanderson - not YA, but my most anticipated book for this year! I'm so excited to read this next installment in The Stormlight Archive series, and to get to revisit this world and characters again!

Untitled [Dreamer, #2] by Maggie Stiefvater - I haven't even read Call Down the Hawk yet, but I'm already hyped for this book. I'm weird, I know. But ever since I read The Raven Boys, I have become a die-hard fan.





And that about wraps it up! Are you interested in any of the books that are on this list? Do you have any anticipated books that are coming out in 2020? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I've been so excited to pick up Spin the Dawn but I heard there was a cliffhanger so I figured I would wait until the series was complete, BUT IF IT'S A DUOLOGY THEN I'M GONNA READ IT NOW! Or... In July, much closer to the release date of book 2 XD Those covers are so beautiful though! <3

    Oh my gosh, if you loved The Raven Boys you NEED to read Call Down the Hawk. It was AMAZING! It had the same vibe but also different (because we have new [also amazing] characters) but also, Ronan Lynch. More Ronan Lynch. How are we so blessed? I will literally devour book 2 of the Dreamer series the second I get it. I don't think any power in the world can keep me
    away from it! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a bit of a cliffhanger, for sure, so I definitely understand where you're coming from! And yes, I've heard that it's going to be just a duology, so the story will hopefully be nicely resolved in the next book. I hope you enjoy it! The covers are lovely, aren't they?

      Ahh, yes, I'm so excited to read it! I'm thrilled to be revisiting all the characters I love so much (like Ronan Lynch XD)

      Delete

Popular on This Blog