Saturday, August 10, 2019

YA Retellings of Classic Literature

If there's one thing I love, it's a good retelling. From historical fiction to fantasy to dystopian, our classic fairy tales and novels have been retold over and over in various genres and age groups -- from children's to teen to adult literature.
Here, I've compiled a list of YA books that retell classic stories.


Les Miserables - Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell


Image courtesy of Goodreads
The gorgeous cover of Sky Without Stars was the first thing that drew me in. When I found out it was a Les Mis retelling... it was pretty much sold for me at that point. It's very high on my to be read list.

Peter Pan - Everland by Wendy Spinale


Image courtesy of Goodreads
Everland by Wendy Spinale is a steampunk/post-apocalyptic/alternate history retelling of Peter Pan. The setting was probably the most intriguing for me.

Alice in Wonderland - Heartless by Marissa Meyer; Splintered by A.G. Howard; The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor


Image courtesy of Goodreads
Heartless by Marissa Meyer is a "before-Alice" story, following the origin story of the Queen of Hearts. I loved that Meyer tried to stay true to the source material -- the nonsensical world of Wonderland is shown as being perfectly normal to the characters, and I enjoyed seeing the way various elements of Carroll's world played out in the plot. 
I've heard good things about The Looking Glass Wars, and I'm keen to read it soon. 
Splintered is a gothic retelling of the story, following the adventures of one of Alice's descendants. I'm about halfway through currently, and while I'm a little annoyed by where I know the love subplot is going, I'm going to hold off judgement until I finish the book. :) I do like the creepy aesthetic, though. 

Persuasion (Jane Austen) - For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund


Image courtesy of Goodreads
I read this book years ago, but I remember enjoying it. After all, it's Jane Austen -- in the post-apocalypse. What's not to love?

The Scarlet Pimpernel - Across a Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund


Image courtesy of Goodreads
I've been meaning to read this one for a while. It's the companion to For Darkness Shows the Stars, set in the same storyworld.


Oliver Twist - Olivia Twist by Lorie Langdon


Image courtesy of Goodreads
A continuation of the classic by Charles Dickens, Olivia Twist asks the question, What if Oliver Twist was really a girl in disguise? This book has been on my to be read list for a while. I'm excited to see where the author goes with the concept!

And there you have it! This is by no means an exhaustive list of all the YA retellings of classic literature out there. What other books would you add to this list? Let me know in the comments!
(And stay tuned for next week's post - I'll be covering YA fairy tale retellings!)

2 comments:

  1. (Hi!!! It's Mem from the forum. XD)

    I have not read any of these books!!! Heartless has been on my list for a while though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Hi!! :D)

      Heartless is very good; though I have to say I enjoyed the author's other series, The Lunar Chronicles, much better.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog