Thursday, August 8, 2019

Keeper of the Lost Cities [Keeper of the Lost Cities #1] by Shannon Messenger

Keeper of the Lost Cities [Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1]
by Shannon Messenger

Genre: Middle Grade fantasy

My Rating: ★★★

Description:

Sophie has always been different. Not only is she a twelve-year old going through high school, but she can also hear the thoughts of those around her.
When she meets a mysterious boy who claims that Sophie is not who she thinks she is, she is thrust into a new world that will test her to the limits. 
For there are secrets in Sophie's past... secrets that some would kill for. 

Overall Thoughts

I'd heard a lot of hype about this book before I read it, so I came to it with a lot of expectations. While Keeper of the Lost Cities is a solidly written and enjoyable book, there was hardly anything that stood out to me as exceptional.

The Characters

In terms of characterization, it was hit and miss. Some of the allies were likeable and fun -- namely Dex and Keefe. I also liked Sophie's foster parents... I've completely forgotten their names. However, there were a few characters I couldn't help but hate -- a wise mentor figure and a nasty antagonist with no real motive for hating Sophie at all. I also didn't understand Sophie's obsession with Fitz.
Looking back on this book, I can't say that any of the characters stood out as exceptional or particularly interesting.

Plot/Pacing

The plot was fairly generic -- a girl with special powers discovers that she is, in fact, an Elf (it's not really a spoiler, guys, it's revealed in the first two chapters) and has to leave the human world so that she's safe -- from what, no one will tell her. I really liked Sophie's dilemma in the earlier chapters -- her having to leave her family and go somewhere strange and foreign to her. However, it was only for a couple chapters that this decision was prominent. I wish Messenger had gone into Sophie's emotions about this more.
However, the pacing was excellent, and there was never a dull moment. I have to hand it to the author, she really knows how to draw you in and keep you reading.

Worldbuilding

The worldbuilding was... unusual. Everything the Elves do, from teleportation to capturing starlight, is supposed to be science of some kind. While the world was interesting and the technology fun to read about, I almost wish Messenger had just decided to call the Elves' "science" what it was -- magic. I feel that my suspension of disbelief wouldn't have been tested so much if everything was just explained as magical and not psuedo-science, which kind of bugged me.

I think my biggest issue with the book was the fact that humans are treated as very second-rate compared to Elves. Elf culture is more refined, Elves don't get into wars, Elves are vegetarian and humane, whereas humans are almost thought of as, well, primitive. I wish Messenger had had Sophie turn this idea on its head, but nothing came of it. I hope that this issue is addressed in future volumes.

Content

Recommended for ages 8 and up.

This is a middle grade book, so there is very little content. Violence is fairly light and not descriptive. There are references to crushes, and one character mentions that he has four girlfriends. There is no swearing as I recall. Characters are drugged.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog