Saturday, September 14, 2019

YA Books with Male Heroes

One thing that YA is famous for -- its incredible amount of female protagonists. Even just giving my bookshelf a quick skim, I've noticed that most of my favorite books (and also most popular books) have female main characters.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with female main characters, far from it! But there does seem to be a significant lack of male protagonists, especially in teen fiction. Hence this post.
I tend to be passionate about this issue because in my writing, I tend to focus on male characters (perhaps it's the product of my growing up with so many brothers!)
So, here are a few librarian (me!) approved books that feature male leads.



1. Fawkes by Nadine Brandes



There are so many reasons why I love this book, and I know I seem to include this on 90% of my book lists so far, but it's just that good. I like that it also revolves around a lesser known historical event, at least outside of England -- the Gunpowder Plot. 

2. The Giver by Lois Lowry 



A banned book and a classic. This was, I believe, the first dystopian novel I ever read. And it freaked me out at the time. But this book is honestly a work of genius, and I really enjoyed it. The movie is also really good, in my opinion, and I liked it as much as the book (or maybe even a bit better.)

3. The Safe Lands Trilogy by Jill Williamson 



This is Christian fiction, just a heads-up for anyone who'd rather not read in that genre. Jill Williamson's books are some of the few Christian books I, as a Christian, actually enjoy reading. This is not a book for kids, however. The entire plot revolves around teen pregnancy and STDs, as well as drug abuse. It is never graphic, but I know some readers would rather avoid reading about these situations period. I, however, believe it is a solid book, and I'm glad that it is an honest one, while still not being graphic.
Replication, by the same author, is also very good, as is the first book in the Blood of Kings trilogy: By Darkness Hid. All feature male protagonists.

4. The Reckoners Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson



Is Steelheart Brandon Sanderson's best work? No. But it is a very solid and well-thought-out book, with some epic plot twists and great characters. I wouldn't read this as an introduction to Sanderson's work, however -- maybe instead, try The Rithmatist (below). 

5. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson



Imagine a world where the United States is an archipelago, chalk drawing possess magical power (and can also eat you alive). That is the setting for Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist, a brilliantly crafted steampunk/alternate history/fantasy novel. This book was my first introduction to Sanderson's work, and I adored it. 

6. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card



Okay, okay, you caught me. This isn't exactly a teen novel. But it does have a lot of teen appeal, and it features a male lead. So, why not? This book is superb. It's easy to see, reading it, why it has won awards. The plot and characterization are excellent, and the world is fully realized and frightening. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves sci-fi.

7. The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Neilsen



Technically, this is middle grade. However, Goodreads classifies as YA, too, and I mean, who's going to argue? This book is really good, regardless of the target audience.
I loved the main character, Sage's, voice. He has a really strong personality, and that, I think, is the thing that carries the book (and the series as a whole.)

8. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling



Like a book list would be complete without Harry Potter somewhere on it, right? I have no other words other than -- if you've read it: virtual high five! If you haven't: you are missing out. Go read it!

9. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness



If you want a powerful, profound, and intensely haunting book that also features a male lead, look no further than A Monster Calls. It's a super quick read, and by the end of it, I was tearing up (and I don't cry over books easily.) If you haven't read it, well... you should go read it.


***

And finally, here's a quick list of books that feature male protagonists or POV characters that I haven't gotten around to reading yet, but want to!

- Legend by Mary Lu
- This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (I'm actually currently reading this!)
- The Rule of Three by Eric Walters
- The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
- Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Note that I haven't included The Maze Runner on this list. While it appears on many teen book lists geared towards boys, I personally didn't enjoy it, so I chose not to include it here. Only books I personally enjoyed made it onto this list.

So, that about wraps it up! What books featuring male protagonists have you read and enjoyed? Have you read any of the books I talked about here? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog