Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Code Name Verity [Code Name Verity, #1] by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity [Code Name Verity, #1]
by Elizabeth Wein

Genre: YA historical

My Rating: ★★★★★

Description:

I have told the truth. 
October, 1943. A British spy-plane is forced to crash land in Nazi occupied France. The pilot and passenger are best friends, but only one has a shot at survival. The other has lost the game before it has begun.
Told in a series of confessions, Code Name Verity is a harrowing story of friendship and loyalty in the face of tragedy and ultimate evil.

Overall Thoughts

I have to admit, I did wonder what the hype was for Code Name Verity when I first started reading it. It was rather slow, and I couldn't really see what was so awesome about it that made everyone rave about it. But I'm so glad I stuck with it, because man, the hype is there for a reason. This book was a masterpiece! I liked the friendship between Maddie and Queenie; the raw, honest look at a dark time in history; and the plot twists that happened in the last 100 pages (can't say any more because of spoilers!)

The story is told from the point of view of a British prisoner of war, a girl who was captured on French soil and is now being forced to give up everything she knows to the Nazis. It was a hard-hitting read at times -- the prisoners of war are treated horribly, and it could definitely be disturbing to some readers. But I feel that what was talked about was necessary to the story -- we need to understand that that time was horrible. The book didn't sugar-coat anything, and I'm glad it didn't, because I feel that would ultimately have taken away from the story.

The Characters

The characters are well-drawn and realistic. The friendship that develops between Maddie and Queenie was wonderful and realistic and complex, and some of the minor characters were well-thought out as well.

Worldbuilding/Writing

The historical atmosphere of the novel also felt really authentic, which I liked. Even just small things -- like the mention of the road signs being blacked out -- really added to the realism of the story itself. 

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to talk about what I liked about this book without going into spoilers. But let me say this: this book deserves the praise it receives. It really is a work of genius. 

Content

Recommended for ages 16 and up.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Sexual assault; rape.

Mentions of sexual assault. Mentions of rape. 
Several descriptions of torture methods, which could definitely be disturbing for some readers. Descriptions of wreckage. Descriptions of a burned body. Several on-page murders and acts of brutality that are described rather graphically; definitely not for anyone sensitive to violence. 
Bombings and other war-related violence. 
Characters drink and smoke.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog