Monday, April 20, 2020

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson [Spoiler Free Book Review]

Elantris
by Brandon Sanderson

Genre: Adult high fantasy

My Rating: ★★★★★

Description:

Elantris was a city of gods, a place of magic and miracles. People came from all across the world to experience the healing and power of the Elantrians. 
Anyone could become an Elantrian. They could be taken at any time, raised to a god-like state. They lived in their city, harmonious and peaceful for eternity. Eternity ended ten years ago. 


Overall Thoughts

I never expected anything less than awesome from a Cosmere novel, and this one definitely did not disappoint. The beginning was somewhat slow, but it picked up and soon I couldn't put it down. I loved the political aspect of the novel, as well as the whole "fantasy world post-apocalypse" concept. 

The Characters

There are three major POV characters: Raoden, a prince who is forced into exile in Elantris; Sarene, Raoden's betrothed, and Hrathen, a high priest of the religion spearheading an invasion into the free states of the world. 
I liked all three of them. Raoden was very much a hero-type character -- well meaning, optimistic, and kind. I loved seeing him step up into a leadership role throughout the course of the novel, and I liked how much he cared about his goals and the people he served. 
Sarene was great as well, suspicious, quick-witted, and smart-mouthed. There were moments when I wasn't sure that I would like her too much, but overall, I really liked her. She had to make some really difficult decisions throughout the novel, and I really admired how she was able to make those decisions. 
Hrathen was fascinating. He's the villain of the novel, but he's so much more than just a mustache twirling evil mastermind. He's logical, driven by wanting to serve his God. He also wants to avoid bloodshed and death, which was such an interesting twist on a villain, and not one that I've seen too often before (most villains are more on the murderous psychopath side of things.)
There were some great side characters, too. I especially liked Ashe, Sarene's Seon (basically a servant, but if a servant was a floaty ball of light.) I thought that his personality was great (and hilarious, at times.)

Plot/Pacing

The plot was definitely slow paced near the beginning. This seems to be a trademark with a lot of adult fantasy novels, but it is worth pointing out. It's way more politics centered than anything else, so if you're looking for an epic fantasy war story -- this isn't it. I like reading about politics in fictional worlds, though, so I was intrigued.
After the first 200 pages or so, the pacing picked up, and by the end was breathtakingly quick paced.
There were some good plot twists, as well. I felt that the reveal for some of the plot twists was slightly less than spectacular, but the twists themselves were good.
I felt like the plot did leave several major loose ends, as well, so it's definitely apparent why Sanderson has talked about writing a sequel to this book in the future. 

Worldbuilding

The entire concept of the world is that it was once full of magic, but now magic is basically a plague. I loved that concept so much, so of course, that part of the novel especially intrigued me. I loved the politics of the world as well -- both socially and religiously.
But -- magic plague, guys. Magic. Plague.
It's brilliant.

Content

Recommended for ages 15 and up.

Swearing is mostly made up swear words/phrases. There may have been one or two minor real world swears.
Sexual content is limited to a few sexual references and comments, including a reference to "the wedding night". Characters flirt with each other. There may have been one instance of kissing, but I can't recall for sure.
Violence is... definitely the most disturbing part of the novel. In this storyworld, obviously there are people who can't die. No matter how gruesome their wounds. Which can... obviously get disturbing at times. A man is clubbed in the head. A brief description of the scene after a battle, with gruesome injuries described (not in detail). A character witnesses a human sacrifice. Mentions and descriptions of blood and wounds.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog