Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: Books with One Word Titles

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme originally created by The Broke and the Bookish and currently hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week's topic is Books with One Word Titles. 

I don't feel like this post needs much introduction, since I'm basically just going to be rhyming off the various books that I've read and loved with one word titles. And (of course), I'll tell you why I think they're amazing.



1. Vicious by V.E. Schwab


I was so hyped to read this book, and I'm so glad it lived up to my expectations! V.E./Victoria Schwab is quickly becoming one of my auto-buy authors, since I've adored 90% of all her books that I've read. (Though I've yet to pick up A Darker Shade of Magic. For shame.)









2. Sweep by Jonathan Auxier


A middle grade story with beautiful writing, incredible characters and themes, Sweep is a wonderful story for literally anyone who enjoys a good book! Even for those of you who don't normally read middle grade (or don't like it) I would still recommend picking up Sweep, because even though it's marketed as middle grade, I feel that it would appeal to a much wider readership.








3. Winter by Marissa Meyer


I will always have fond memories of this series, as it was one of the first series' I read when I was first getting into reading YA. Plus, I have a thing for retellings of any sort, and dystopian retellings? Those are incredible.
Out of all of the books, Winter was my favorite. It retells the story of Snow White, and centers on my two favorite characters in the series.








4. Skyward by Brandon Sanderson


This is my favorite of Sanderson's YA novels. It's a wonderful story, with great worldbuilding, a compelling plot, and a wonderful friend group. Plus, it has a sentient spaceship and a character named Doomslug. Come on. You know it sounds awesome.









5. Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson (It totally counts as one word...)


I might possibly be cheating with this one? I mean, "Oathbringer" is technically not a real word... but it's a single word... so I counted it on this list.
Plus, since it is part of my all-time favorite high fantasy series, I felt the need to include it here. This is the third book in the ongoing fantasy series The Stormlight Archive. The books are enormous (clocking in at over 1000 pages each) but the themes and the depth of character development -- as well as the stunning plot and worldbuilding -- make this series worth every page.






6. Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


I read The Illuminae Files last year, just before I first started this blog. I enjoyed them a lot, and the more I think about them, the more I remember how good they were. I may have to look into reading them again soon (this time on audiobook, because I've heard it's full-cast, and I adore full-cast audiobooks.) Out of the trilogy, the second book, Gemina, was my favorite. If you like sci-fi adventures, rogue AIs, sarcastic leads, and pulse-pounding plots, you should totally check out this series!






7. Fawkes by Nadine Brandes


The story of Guy Fawkes is one that has always interested me. So when I heard about this book -- a historical fantasy novel based around the Gunpowder Plot -- I knew I had to pick it up. I wasn't disappointed. This book is fantastic.
Brandes's other historical fantasy, Romanov, is also good, though not quite as good as Fawkes. 








8. Wonder by R.J. Palacio


I've been wanting to read this book for forever, but I could never find a used copy anywhere (yes, I know I could've just bought it off Amazon. Shh.) A friend of mine lent me a copy last summer, and I absolutely loved it! I enjoyed how Palacio used multiple perspectives throughout the novel, and how each character views every other character differently through their points-of-view.
It's also a beautiful story about family, friendship, and kindness.







9. Captives by Jill Williamson


This is a book I read ages ago, and I'm not sure if I would still like it as much if I read it again now. However, I have read the whole series three times total. Could small Fina really have had such poor taste? So yeah, it makes the list. I enjoyed them when I read them. I'm interested to read them again and see how my opinions have changed. This book was really interesting because even though it's technically Christian fiction, it deals with a lot of heavier topics -- drug addiction, STDs, teen pregnancy -- that most Christian fiction tends not to explore very often.





10. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke


A childhood classic. I haven't read Inkheart in years, but I have such fond memories of it that it makes this list easily. Plus, the whole idea of book characters coming to life? I love it!









And, for fun, here's a few books with one word titles I'm super excited to read this year!

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Legend by Marie Lu

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

Vengeful by V.E. Schwab


And that about wraps it up! Now it's your turn! What are ten (or five or fifteen or three hundred) of your favorite books with one word titles? Have you read any of the books I mentioned here, and what did you think of them? Let me know in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. I like how you included both books you've read and books you want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a spur of the moment thing to add my to be read books to my list, but I kept remembering books with awesome one word titles that I haven't gotten around to yet! :D
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Inkheart has such a pretty cover.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweep was a great book. I also need to get to Vengeful this year. Lovely list!

    My TTT: https://wendimlee.blogspot.com/2020/03/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-single-word.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of sad more people haven't read Sweep, because it really was amazing. Vengeful's super high on my priority list now. :D I hope you enjoy it!
      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. I need to read Wonder.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing story. I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Popular on This Blog