Sunday, March 1, 2020

February Wrap-Up + March TBR

Hi all!

So this is a new sort of post I wanted to try out. Monthly wrap-ups. Talk about the books I read this month, maybe the movies, TV shows, stuff that happened, etc...? Sure, why not?

So, February. I don't know about you guys, but for me, February just... disappeared? I mean, it feels like Valentine's day was three hundred years ago and also like March shouldn't quite be here yet, so I have no idea what happened to the normal progress of time over this month. It's all wibbly-wobbly.

I've been busy, what with reading and not writing, and obviously the crazy day-to-day of being a public librarian. I also reorganized my bookshelf and unhauled a bunch of books I can't see myself reading again, and it's nice to see some new space opened up on my shelves!


~ The Books ~

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

My first ever Christie novel, and the first mystery I've read in a long time where I haven't guessed the ending. I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style, but the mystery was A+, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Christie's novels in the future. I was slightly (okay, more than slightly) annoyed by the fact that my copy (bought second-hand) had a page ripped out, but hey, things like that happen. Still not happy. 




Havenfall by Sara Holland
I freaked out when I found out that I'd gotten approved to read this book on Netgalley. It was a fun, light fantasy novel that reminded me a lot of some of the fantasies I used to read when I was younger, so it was nice and nostalgic. I've had mixed feelings about Holland's books in the past, but I'm glad I read this one.  






Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
An impactful, honest historical fiction about a dark period of World War 2 that is often overlooked. This book didn't sugarcoat anything, and the horrors that these people faced during the war was heartbreaking to read about. But I'm very glad I read this book, and I will definitely be checking out Sepetys's other novels.






The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (The Raven Boys; The Dream Thieves; Blue Lily, Lily Blue; The Raven King; Opal
And I spent the rest of the month reading the entire Raven Cycle from beginning to end. This series was absolutely amazing, and has definitely made its way onto my list of all-time favorite books. The characters and the writing, especially, made me fall in love with this series. I'll be posting my series review for all of the books (excluding Opal) in the next couple of days, so keep your eyes peeled!






~ The Movies ~

It was kind of an all-over-the-place sort of month for movie watching. I finally watched The Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace this month, both for the first time, which concludes my watch-through of all the Skywalker Saga movies (excluding Rise of Skywalker, which I have no intention of ever seeing. 
Unpopular opinion time: I've come to the realization that I am not a Star Wars fan. I'm sorry. I know it's a really popular movie franchise, and I gave it my best try, but... it's just not for me. 

I also re-watched both Les Miserables (2012) and Newsies (1992), two of my all-time favorite musicals (and movies.) Les Mis had me in literal tears this time, which honestly was not surprising in the least. 


~ TV Shows ~

Doctor Who: Season 12 
I'm not quite finished with the series yet (still a few more episodes to go) but my Whovian heart is crying. While this season is far, far better than Series 11 (which I have permanently erased from my personal Who canon) it still lacks the Who-ness that I came to love so much in the first ten seasons. Much sadness. 

The Mandalorian
On the upside, I watched a Star Wars thing I actually liked! Along with Rogue One and Solo, The Mandalorian is one of the few Star Wars projects brought to screen that I actually genuinely enjoyed. The Child is adorable, and the Mandalorian's character is excellent. 

Locke and Key Episode One
And I don't think I'll be watching any more of this one! This show is apparently really popular right now, as it ranks number 6 on Netflix's top TV shows. And honestly... it wasn't very good. At least not for me. I mean, if you like it, that's perfectly cool! But it just... wasn't for me at all.


~ March TBR ~

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I've heard so many good things about this book, and I'm really excited to finally get around to reading it!

Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
A fantasy standalone that features a library and magical books? Yes please! I'm actually currently reading this, and so far, the library aspect is really fun and interesting, though the main character is... less than awesome at present.

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
A modern Sherlock Holmes retelling with a female Sherlock! I'm really interested to finally read this book. Hopefully the mystery isn't as predictable as some of the mysteries I've read lately.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Ha. Ha. Ha.
So this book is super popular, and people seem to either love it (as in, a little weirdly obsessed with it) or loathe it (as in, I would set this book on fire). Am I interested to see which camp I fall into? A little bit.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
I smell controversy.
This book is on several banned books lists, and is the subject of intense controversy over its subject matter -- people seem very divided on whether this book handles the topic of suicide well or not. I'm interested to see my own thoughts on it.

Will I read more than this in March? Very likely. But those are the ones I have planned for sure, so expect reviews in the next few weeks!

~ Best of February Discussions (In Case You Missed Out) ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog