Thursday, February 27, 2020

Liked Harry Potter? Try These Books!

You know when you finish a really good book? You close the cover, reopen the book, read the last paragraph again, close the book again. You feel slightly disoriented, coming back to the real world after being so engrossed in the storyworld for so long. And then you get up, go about your day, and, eventually, try to find another book to read.
Maybe you're like me, where as soon as you read an excellent book, you scramble trying to find a book that's similar to it in terms of characterization, conflict, and content. You want to feel the same way you did when you put down that last book.
Well, this post is going to be the first in an ongoing series where I'll take one popular movie, book, or TV show, and give reading recommendations based on that movie, book, or TV show.
You might notice that some of these books don't seem to be very similar to the books I'm comparing them to. And that's the point. I don't want to recommend that, after you read The Hunger Games, to go and read Divergent. First, because they're really not that similar. And second, because most of us aren't looking for carbon copies of the book we loved anyway. We want something unique, but something that gives us the same feeling that that one book did.


Alright. With that very long introduction out of the way, let me get into today's topic -- books you should read if you like the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.


Middle Grade 

These are books that may appeal to Harry Potter fans who read (or are willing to read) within the Middle Grade age group.

1. Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard [Peter Nimble, #2] by Jonathan Auxier


About the book:  Sophie Quire's whole life could be contained within the four walls of her father's bookshop. But when two strangers show up at the door looking for a rare (and dangerous) book, Sophie is thrust headfirst into an adventure of the kind she has only ever read about.

A combination of quirky characters, engaging writing, and a magical storyline, Sophie Quire is a wonderful book for anyone who loves the atmosphere of Hogwarts and the wonder of the Hogwarts Library (because yes, like the title suggests, this book is also about books.)
And you don't need to read the first book in order to read this one! Out of the two, Sophie Quire was my favourite, and I highly recommend it.


2. The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud


About the book: The Problem - ghosts now walk the streets of England's towns and cities. The solution - hunters to fight them. The catch? Only children can see the ghosts.

If you loved the darker side of Hogwarts Castle -- ghosts, poltergeists, and Death Day Parties alike -- this book might be just your cup of tea. With creepy worldbuilding, a death-defying group of teenage ghosthunters, and a haunted mansion, this is definitely the sort of story Harry Potter fans might love. Check out my review for more of my thoughts.




3. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer


About the book: Artemis Fowl - twelve-year-old millionaire, genius, criminal mastermind - quickly gets pulled in over his head when he kidnaps a fairy and finds out just how dangerous the Fair Folk can be.

A quick disclaimer that I read this book four and a half years ago, and that my opinions on it may have (probably have) changed since then. However, this book does have a lot of Harry Potter-esque vibes, from what I remember. An underground magical world, stolen magical artifacts, and an evil mastermind of a protagonist make this book a fun ride all around.



Young Adult


4. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater


About the book: Five teens seek out the grave of a Welsh king rumored to be sleeping somewhere in the Virginia mountains.

I'm working through the last book in this series right now, but I love it so much that I'm very confident in recommending it now anyway. This series has some similarities to Harry Potter, while being a little darker and more than a little creepier.
Maggie Stiefvater's characters and writing style make this book what it is. She's a master of writing engaging, intricate books with loveable characters and a lyrical writing voice that keeps you hooked from page one and doesn't let you go until the last sentence. Keep a lookout for my spoiler-free series review, which should be up within the next week or so.


5. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson


About the book: Joel has always dreamed of being a Rithmatist. But when a string of murders sweeps through the city - killing Rithmatist students - things become a lot more complicated.

Chalk drawings and geometry combine to create a unique and thoroughly engaging magic system in The Rithmatist. The mystery in this book was excellent and intriguing, as was the worldbuilding. Be warned, however -- this book ends with loose ends and somewhat of a cliffhanger, and so far there has been no news about whether Sanderson intends to release a sequel or not. With that being said, The Rithmatist is a compelling story in its own right, and definitely deserves a place on this list.


6. The Harper Hall Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey


About the book: Mellony's father didn't share her dream of Mellony's becoming a Harper, and tried to crush her love of music. With no choice but to flee, Mellony discovers a group of wild fire lizards, and teaches nine of them to sing. Now, she's no longer alone.

Full disclaimer: I have not yet read these books. But my brother has, and I trust him when he says it's got a lot of similarities to Harry Potter. He also loved them (all but the third book, actually) and he's almost never wrong about what books are good.




7. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


About the book: A family tragedy sends sixteen-year-old Jacob to a remote island off the coast of Wales. There, he investigates the ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and discovers that they may have isolated themselves on the island for a reason. Something lurks in the shadows.

It's been a long time since I read this book, but as I recall, it did have a few similarities to Harry Potter. A school for magically talented children, for a start. This book is much darker than Harry Potter, though, venturing towards horror. It's also (as should be clear from the title) weird. But if weird's up your alley, definitely put this book on your tbr!



That about wraps it up for now! I hope you've found at least one book on this list that appeals to you!

Bookworms, let's talk! What books have you read that are similar to Harry Potter? Have you read any of the books on this list, and what did you think of them? Let me know in the comments! I'm excited to hear your thoughts!




4 comments:

  1. AHH Artemis Fowl, The Rithamist, and MPHFPC are some of my favorite books/series!!! <33 I haven't read HP, so I can't answer your question though. X'D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read MPHFPC and Artemis Fowl again, it's been too long. xD And I love The Rithmatist so much.
      Let me know if you ever pick up HP, though! It's one of my favorite series' of all time. :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE The Raven Cycle. I'm also one book away from completing the series and they have become one of my favorite all time books. Can't wait for your reviews to see your thoughts on the individual books.

    Also! I never really noticed before but you are right about the similarities to Harry Potter. Maybe that is why I like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard that TRC was good, but I never thought it would be /that good/. I'm excited to share my thoughts (though I'm afraid the ending of book 4 is going to make me cry.)

      I'm glad you agree! It feels almost like... a darker, YA, version of Harry Potter to me.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog