Thursday, February 13, 2020

Fictional Couples I Actually Ship

In honor of Valentine's Day (and partially because I wanted to do this anyway and Valentine's was a perfect excuse) let's talk about fictional couples.

You guys already know that I generally have problems with fictional romances. So many of them are
a) contrived b) pointless and c) annoying, and I have little to no patience for it.

That being said, I do have a few fictional couples that I actually ship, and fictional romances I'm actually on board with. And that's what I'm going to talk about today! So prepare for fangirliness.



1. Vin and Elend Venture from The Mistborn Trilogy



These two are probably my favorite fictional couple I've ever read about. Hands down, no questions asked. I loved the way their relationship progressed throughout the trilogy, and I love their interactions, and how they support each other and genuinely care about each other and respect each other and just everything about their relationship is so perfect. Wow, that was like three sentences all stuck together. I'm going to leave it, though, because my thoughts about Elend and Vin are very much just a collection of run-ons and sentence fragments.





2. Shallan Davar and Adolin Kholin from The Stormlight Archive



I know that some Stormlight fans ship Shallan and Kaladin, but I'm sorry -- I 100% support Shallan and Adolin's relationship. I think I got sold with that one scene in Oathbringer when Adolin is teaching Shallan how to use her Shardblade... I just loved that scene so much.
Also, this is an example of an arranged engagement/marriage/whatever-you-want-to-call-it done well.
To be completely honest, I ship 90% of all the couples Brandon Sanderson creates, because honestly, he knows how to write romance so well.




3. Winter Blackburn and Jacin Clay from The Lunar Chronicles



I think Jacin and Winter are the most awesome couple from the Lunar Chronicles series. I know it's not the most popular opinion, but the way I see it, Jacin and Winter are perfect together. They've got great chemistry, plus I think their relationship is the most realistic of the four main "ships" in the TLC universe. Why? Because they've known each other since they were kids. They were friends before they fell in love. And that's something I really like.







4. Scarlet Benoit and Ze'ev Kelsey from The Lunar Chronicles


I'm kind of cheating by including two couples from the same series, but this is my blog and I can do what I want. (Just kidding, but not really. :P)
I know how I was just saying that Jacin and Winter were my favorite couple in the Lunar Chronicles. I would say that Scarlet and Wolf are a close second. I love the way their relationship develops through the series, and I also love their interactions.
Also, my brother (who hates fictional romances as a general rule) thinks they're a great couple, so I think that that's a pretty good indicator that they're awesome.




5. Puck Connolley and Sean Kendrick from The Scorpio Races

I love these two so much. Their relationship is a really slow build from friends to slightly-more-than friends, and I loved watching it develop and grow! Both Puck and Sean have deep and complex personalities, and their interactions -- as well as the way they fueled each other's growth -- made me very happy. Makes me very happy.
Man, I need to read this book again soon.






That about wraps it up! Obviously there are a few more fictional couples that I ship (only a few), but those are my top five favorites. 
Do you have a favorite fictional romance that you've read about? Have you read any of the books I talked about here, and if so, do you agree with me? Let me know in the comments! And happy Valentine's Day!

(Stay tuned for part two of my Romance Tropes That Need to Stop post, which I'm planning on putting up on the 14th. It's going to be great. :P)

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the TLC ships. XD Plus, Jacin is so protective and careful around Winter, and he helps her through her mental struggles, it's lovely to see them so gentle with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeesss, I love how supportive and kind they are to each other. I feel like they're the most underrated TLC ship, and I just love them so much. So glad you agree!

      Delete

Popular on This Blog