Saturday, August 31, 2019

YA Romance Tropes That Need to Stop

I like a good romance as much as the next person, but the more I read, the more I'm starting to see annoying -- or even harmful -- representations of romance in YA fiction.
I'm not trying to start a campaign to remove all romance from teen books -- far from it! I'm only making the point that many of the so-called "romances" that are swooned over nowadays are, in fact, unrealistic at best. Toxic at worst.
Alright. Ready to tackle my list? Here we go.



6. The Love Triangle


I realize I'm probably picking at an old bone here, but since the love triangle seems to still be such a popular trope, I felt the need to express my thoughts on it. I'm not saying that I hate love triangles. They can be done well (though it is rare). Even ignoring the fact that 90% of love triangles add nothing to the overall plot, love triangles still have a major problem -- the flip flopping. 
You know what I'm talking about. Girl likes boy. Other boy shows up. Girl isn't sure who she likes anymore. Boy #1 is jealous when Girl is with Boy #2. Boy #2 is jealous when Girl is with Boy #1. 
It's annoying and unfair. No one should lead on someone to believe that they love them and only them, only to turn around and kiss another guy two chapters later.

5. The "My Boyfriend is My Self-Confidence" Relationship


Our female main character is insecure. She's talented, but she doesn't know it. She's beautiful, but thinks she's plain. Along comes Mr. Perfect (TM). He is the only one of the girl's many friends, family, and coworkers who seems to be able to recognize how special she is, and also the only one she believes. Her self-confidence quickly gets wrapped up in her relationship with Mr. Perfect, and when it (inevitably) crumbles, she breaks down emotionally and refuses to interact with society anymore. 
This is really wrong and harmful. Self confidence should never, ever, be tangled with a romantic relationship, especially in high school! 

4. Insta-Love (Or is it Lust?)


I see this way too much. A guy and a girl run into each other on the street/escaping prison/in the middle of an important quest and something happens. Even though they don't even know each other's middle names, parents, or anything at all about the other person, they have somehow, miraculously, fallen in love.
Most of the time, with insta-love, the "romance" portrayed is barely a romance and more a case of mutual lust. Both characters find the other attractive. They think about them. They think about kissing them. They think about how pretty their eyes are. 
This is not what a real, healthy relationship looks like! Any sort of relationship like this in real life would inevitably lead to a break-up and broken hearts. Let's stop showing this fake romance as something any more than it is -- a fantasy.

3. The "Second Chance" Romance


The girl and the guy had a falling out, often involving some sort of betrayal. She hasn't seen him in years, but when they run into each other again, the sparks fly. Suddenly, the girl starts to wonder -- did I make the wrong choice? Should I have stayed with him? Often, this type of story ends with the two characters in a strong -- and somehow healthy -- relationship. 
This is another unrealistic, and even harmful, trope. If the guy betrayed the girl once, who's to say he won't do it again? But the girl is willing to trust the guy who betrayed her despite that. If the girl was smart enough to end the relationship, she would be smart enough to realize a second chance likely won't work. 
The only time I've ever seen this type of romantic subplot work is Omar and Shaylinn's relationship from The Safe Lands Trilogy. The reason this relationship didn't turn out toxic is because a) Omar recognized his behaviour and made the conscious decision to change before he pursued Shaylinn again and b) Shaylinn recognized that Omar's behaviour needed to change before she invested herself in him again.

2. The "I Don't Really Love Them, but I Need to Take My Mind Off You" Relationship


Cue angry screeching at the sky. I recently read a book (with a love triangle) in which one of the main character's love interests (who was previously in a dating relationship with another girl) reveals he was only dating the other girl to "take his mind" off the main character. 
This is so, so wrong. No one should ever treat another person like a distraction. A dating relationship should be built on mutual affection and respect and should not be treated lightly. If the other girl was a real person, she would have been heartbroken, crushed. She was used by her love interest for his own ends. 
The worst part about this particular scenario is that the main character didn't seem to have a problem with the love interest doing this. Instead, she was flattered. Ugh, ugh, ugh. This is so wrong.

1. The Glorified Abusive Relationship


I read another book fairly recently, The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. It's a fairly popular one around the internet right now, and has a 4.16 average rating on Goodreads. I didn't like it, for a number of reasons (for those, see my review) but for the purpose of this rant post, I will focus on one aspect -- Jude and Cardan's supposed "romance." 
Jude hates anything to do with the fae, and especially hates Prince Cardan (who is the prince referenced in the title -- this should give you a heads up as to what I'm about to talk about.) The fae are cruel, and Cardan is the worst. He is abusive and mean. He manipulates Jude into doing things she doesn't want to do with his magic. In short, he's a first-class jerk. 
Spoiler Alert (I've purposefully been vague, but for those who try to avoid any spoilers at all, you may want to skip the next paragraph)
Eventually, a tragic backstory comes to light. And apparently this was supposed to excuse Cardan from his actions? Because after I finished the book, I was left with the vague idea that Cardan and Jude were/were going to be romantically involved in the second book. And I was disgusted by this. But apparently The Cruel Prince's fanbase ships them, even though this is a toxic, harmful relationship. 
End of Spoilers
This is not right. Just because a person has had a tough life is no excuse for abusive behaviour, and it's definitely not a good idea to get romantically involved with a person like this! I'm not saying we can't have realism. People do get into abusive relationships, and fiction can be a good place to discuss the harmful consequences of such relationships, if such relationships portrayed in a negative light and in a sensitive way. 
What The Cruel Prince did was glorify such relationships. And this is very, very wrong. 

And that about wraps it up! What do you think about the tropes I listed? Are there any books you've read which avoid these tropes in their romance subplots? Are there any annoying or harmful YA romance tropes you can think of that I haven't listed here? Share your thoughts in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. YES I AGREE. I HATE LOVE TRIANGLES. :-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love triangles are seriously one of the most annoying tropes ever.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog