Sunday, May 26, 2019

Spoiler Free Book Review: The Cruel Prince [Folk of the Air, #1] by Holly Black


The Cruel Prince [Folk of the Air, #1]
by Holly Black

Genre: YA fantasy

My Rating:

Description:

Jude has lived in Faerie since she was seven, since the redcap general Madoc murdered both of her parents and spirited her and her two sisters away. Since then, she has struggled to find a place of belonging in a world not her own. 
Her dream is to become a knight, to serve under the High King of Faerie. But the Folk have other plans, and soon it becomes apparent that secrets are being hidden beneath the surface. Jude must struggle for survival -- not just her own, but also her sister's, and perhaps... the entire world.

Overal Thoughts

I wanted to love this book. I did. I mean, the whole idea was just so intriguing -- our modern world living alongside the ancient myths of the Faeries (I believe mostly derived from Irish folklore.) But it never captured me, if that makes sense. I never really connected with any of the characters, and some parts of the writing style (the way Jude would start talking to the reader, in particular) pulled me out of the story. I probably will not be continuing with this series, especially because of a certain subplot that was introduced near the end of this book that I'm afraid will become more prominent in later books. 

The Characters

The main character, Jude, was not very sympathetic, and did some really awful things, of which it seems she has hardly any regrets or human emotion about. I feel like maybe this was an intentional choice by the author, but it made me dislike Jude quite a bit. 
The side characters were... interesting. I think of all of them I probably liked Oak or Vivi the best. Most of the Faerie characters were disgustingly evil, and though the author tried to give motivation to one of them near the end, I don't feel like those kinds of motivations made up in any way for the things the character did. Perhaps that was the point. 
However, I did respect another character's backstory reveal -- it made a lot of sense, and made me feel sorry for her. 
Jude's change arc was... kind of scary. I don't know how to say more without spoilers, but I will say that it didn't leave me with a positive impression. 
Overall, the characterization didn't resonate with me. 

Plot/Pacing

The plot took a long time to get started. I was a third of the way through the book before anything plot related started happening. Though there was always stuff happening, without a solid goal, it seemed to drag. In the last quarter, the pace picked up, but because of the slow beginning, I doubt I would have finished unless I was intending to review it.

Worldbuilding

Something I loved about this book -- the setting! The way the author wove ancient myths into her storyworld worked beautifully. I loved the descriptions of the buildings and forests, and I also liked the contrast between the land of Faerie and the human world's descriptions. 
The world has interesting rules, and I liked that a lot -- faeries can't lie, promises are binding, salt and rowan berries are important to ward off enchantment. It was intriguing, and I learned quite a bit about faerie folklore reading this book.

Content

Recommended for ages 16 and up. 

Violence was common. A mock battle was staged, no details. Two girls are attacked and thrown into a river, on the presumption that nixies would eat them. A character stabs another in self-defense. Faeries glamour people into doing their will, which results in some nasty things happening. Descriptions of blood. A major character murders another on-page. Two instances of attempted strangulation. A number of other characters are murdered on-page. Descriptions of blood. Descriptions of poisoning.
In terms of sexual content, this book contained several detailed kisses, as well as comments that imply sexual immorality. Two characters sleep together. Characters discuss the king's "consorts." A girl is forced (under mind control) to strip down to her underwear in front of a group of people.
One female character is bisexual and involved in a relationship with another girl.
Swearing is moderate, including a few strong swear words, used semi-frequently.
Several faerie foods act similar to drugs or alcohol in their affects; mentions of consuming wine. One character is characterized as being a drunk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog