Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Books I Bought for the Cover

Most of the time, I consider myself good about not buying books solely because they would look good on my bookshelf. I like taking the time to really research a book, what other readers are saying about it, etc. before I even consider picking it up from the bookstore.

But sometimes, it is hard to resist the pretty covers. I'm sure some of you feel the same way, right?

Photo by Jason Wong on Unsplash


So today, I'm going to be talking about books I actually did buy for the beautiful cover. I haven't read all of these books yet, so this isn't really a recommendation list, but if one of these books looks interesting to you, by all means, check it out!


1. Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendall


Excuse the glare off my bone-white skin. :P

What I knew before I bought it:

  • It's a Les Miserables retelling in the vein of The Lunar Chronicles


This is one of two books on this list that I've actually read. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it, either. It was a fun, enjoyable book, but definitely not a really worthy retelling of Les Mis. I still want to try book 2, Between Burning Worlds, when it releases this year, however.

2. The Girl the Sea Gave Back by Adrienne Young

© 2020 by Rambles from My Library


What I knew before I bought it:

  • It's a Viking-inspired fantasy novel

I'm still incredibly excited to read this book! It seems right up my alley, and the cover definitely doesn't hurt. I bought the hardcover edition, and it was so worth it for the gorgeous inside cover. 

Beautiful, right? I hope the story inside lives up to the fantastic cover!

3. There Will Come a Darkness by Katy Rose Pool


© 2020 by Rambles from My Library


What I knew before I bought it: 
  • There are six alternating points-of-view 
  • And something about the world ending (oooo)

This book was a total impulse buy, but the cover on Goodreads doesn't do the real one any justice. My photo probably won't either. I'm really excited to read this book, both for the cover, and the amazing title (my inner fangirl adores it.)

4. Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson


© 2020 by Rambles from My Library


What I knew before I bought it:
  • Fantasy library!
  • It's a standalone novel

This book is actually next on my TBR (after The Raven King, of course), and I'm really excited to read it! Sorcery of Thorns has been incredibly hyped up ever since it released, and I'm hoping it lives up to that hype. But I'm not going into it with any expectations based on the hype. Only my own based on the fact that there's a LIBRARY, and it's Gothic fantasy, and it just looks super incredible. Yeah, okay, I may have unrealistic expectations. Update: I've finished it, and I have opinions. Keep your eyes peeled for my review!


So, bookworms, have you read any of these books? Have you ever bought a book solely for its cover, and if so, what did you think of that book? Let me know in the comments! I can't wait to chat with you all. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog