Saturday, September 21, 2019

My Favorite Banned or Challenged Books

Tomorrow will be the beginning of Banned Books Week 2019! So, in celebration, I thought I would make a list of my favorite banned or challenged books.
Banned Books Week celebrates the freedom we have to read by bringing awareness to titles that have been challenged or banned. For more information about Banned Books Week, check out their About page: https://bannedbooksweek.org/about/.

And now, onto my own list! (Note that I've included reasons the books have been challenged or banned. You can find more reasons and information on the ALA information website on the topic.)


Photo by Gaelle Marcel on Unsplash


1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Banned for: use of racial slurs, violence, discussion of rape, offensive language, racism.

I read To Kill a Mockingbird last year as part of my high school literature program, and I thought it was a beautiful, thought-provoking story. However, it has been the subject of controversy since its publication in 1960.

2. The Giver by Lois Lowry


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Banned for: Unsuited to age group, euthanasia, violence, sexuality, discussion of suicide

This was the first true dystopian novel I read (in my recollection), and to be completely honest, it terrified me. However, it is an important book, and while the world it depicts is disturbing and twisted, I believe that it deserves to be read -- perhaps with a little more caution depending on the age and maturity of the reader.

3. Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Banned for: offensive language, occult/magic, violence

When I found out Bridge to Terebithia was a banned book, I was shocked. This book definitely deserved the John Newberry medal it received. It's been a while since I've read this book, to be honest, but I've loved it each and every time I've read it.

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Challenged for: Violence, unsuited for age group, offensive language. 

I wasn't surprised to find out that The Hunger Games had been challenged. It is a violent story -- but that's the whole point. I believe Suzanne Collins was trying to show the horror of the storyworld she'd created, and so I don't believe the violence was without a point in her story.

5. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Challenged for: Offensive language, violence

Another violent book, but again, I believe Ender's Game had a purpose for including the amount of violence it did. Perhaps the violence was further compounded by the age of the characters -- most are under the age of fourteen throughout the story, and some are as young as six. However, the novel is extremely well written with excellent plot lines and interesting themes. 

6. The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Challenged for: Occult/magic

This one was another shock for me. The fact that Tolkien's novels have been challenged as being occult -- when Tolkien himself was a devout Christian -- is strange to me. But it's true. There was even a book burning of Tolkien's works in 2001 in Almagordo, New Mexico. 

7. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling


© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Banned for: Violence, occult/magic, religious viewpoint

Okay. So. Since its publication, Harry Potter has probably become one of the most famous controversial books of all time. It's been claimed that it is Satanic, even though, with the publication of The Deathly Hallows, some are looking back over the series and seeing the Christian parallels the series makes.
For myself, Harry Potter has always been a part of my life, and I love the series. I really don't think there's anything Satanic in these books, and that banning them will do more harm than good.

8. The Holy Bible

© 2019 by Rambles from My Library

Challenged for: Religious viewpoint

I couldn't end this list without mentioning the Bible. As a Christian, I definitely don't believe that the Bible should be banned, both for intellectual and religious reasons. It would go against basic human freedoms and rights to ban it, in my opinion. 

And that's about it! What banned books have you read and loved? Have you read any of the books on this list? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog