Monday, September 16, 2019

Mitosis [The Reckoners, #1.5] by Brandon Sanderson

Mitosis [The Reckoners, #1.5]
by Brandon Sanderson

Genre: YA dystopian

My Rating: ★★

Description:

In this short story set just before the events of Firefight, David and the Reckoners battle the Epic Mitosis.



Overall Thoughts

I don't really see the point of Mitosis. When I saw it listed as part of The Reckoners series, I assumed that it was going to add more to my understanding of the characters, the universe, the plot of the series, something. But it didn't.

Mitosis was, first of all, extremely short. It's not really a novella as much as it is a short story. Because it was so short, not much characterization happened in the story, and as a result, even the characters who were well-developed in the series fell flat in this book.

For anyone who's read Firefight, you'll know that Mitosis was mentioned as one of the Epics that the Reckoners fought before Sourcefield. The plot basically revolves around fighting Mitosis and beating him. And that's it. So, frankly, I was disappointed. Maybe some of my disappointment stems from high expectations. After all, this was written by Brandon Sanderson, the author of such incredible stories as The Final Empire and Skyward. But this story just... didn't do it for me.

Content

Recommended for ages 14 and up.


Violence, on par with the violence found in the rest of the series. There may have been one or two swear words, but I can't recall. No sexual content that I can remember, unless you count a cheesy love song as content. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet, although I have read the rest of the series. That's a bummer that it's not great. :-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the first Brandon Sanderson story I've actually been truly disappointed in. I'm really sad that I didn't like it.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog