Monday, January 20, 2020

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen [Spoiler Free Book Review]

The Running Dream
by Wendelin Van Draanen

Genre: YA contemporary

My Rating: ★★★★★

Description:

Sixteen year old Jessica was born to run. She lives and breathes running. It's more than a hobby. It's who she is. So when a tragic accident causes her to lose one of her legs, Jessica's life falls apart.
The doctor's promise that she will be able to walk again, but recovery is slow and painful. She not only has to deal with the rehabilitation, but also the knowledge that she might never run again. In the midst of all this, Jessica meets Rosa -- a girl with cerebral palsy who she's always overlooked. Rosa helps Jessica see that she can reach for a future where she can not only walk -- but run.

Overall Thoughts

I read Wild Bird for my book club last year, and I actually loved it so much I wanted to read more of the author's work. That resulted in my reading the sample chapters of The Running Dream in the back of Wild Bird, and eventually, my getting the book itself for Christmas. And am I glad I did!

I was moved by the way that Van Draanen addressed disability. I am a fully abled person myself, so I lack that perspective on this book, but I thought it handled the issues it addressed really well. The book didn't gloss over Jessica's struggles during her recovery, both physically and emotionally, and I'm glad of that. Books like this, that address issues like disability, can help readers who don't share the same experience to, in a way, build empathy with people who are struggling through this. And I think that's fantastic.

Writing

Wendelin Van Draanen's writing style is addictive. The chapters are short, making the story feel like it's always moving, and it keeps the story fairly fast-paced. Which might be a little strange for contemporary, but I like it a lot.

The Characters

Another thing I like about Van Draanen's books -- the relationships between the characters are really great. I love the fact that Jessica's parents aren't nasty or almost totally absent from her life -- they actually care about her, and I liked that.
I also love the female friendships in this book. It's so rare to find a YA with great female friendships, but this one did, and so I'm glad.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Running Dream and would highly recommend it!

Content

Recommended for ages 12 and up.

I don't recall any swearing, though there may have been one or two instances. Some brief descriptions of a vehicle accident. Some descriptions of medical procedures.
A boy and a girl share a brief kiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog