Friday, October 25, 2019

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Wonder
by R.J. Palacio

Genre: Middle Grade contemporary

My Rating: ★★★★★

Description: 

August "Auggie" Pullman is just a normal kid. At least, that's how he sees himself. He just wishes other people would see him that way. He was born with a facial difference that has, up to this point, kept him out of public school, and now, starting fifth grade at Beecher Prep, he just wants everyone else to see him the way he sees himself -- perfectly, wonderfully ordinary.
But his classmates can't seem to get past viewing Auggie as different.

Overall Thoughts

I've wanted to read Wonder for a while. (Shout out to the awesome person who lent it to me!) It's an amazing story, and I'm so glad I finally got the chance to read it! I finished the whole novel in about a day and a half, which should give you some idea to how much I enjoyed it.

The Characters

I think the characterization was the strong point in this novel. I liked that the author chose to explore the situations from the point of view of multiple characters (you have Auggie, the main character; his sister, Via; her boyfriend and her best friend; and two of Auggie's friends, Jack and Summer.) Seeing all of the characters and their different points of view made the novel really unique. I loved seeing different sides to the same story, how different events meant different things to different people. All the point of view characters were well-developed and felt human. One character who didn't get a lot of development was Julian, the bully: however, I've read that R.J. Palacio wanted to tell his story, but couldn't find a way to do that in Wonder without disrupting the story. She released an e-book in 2014 called The Julian Chapter which tells his story. She said she didn't want to justify his behavior, but she did want to humanize him, which is what the book apparently does. Another addition to my TBR, apparently. :P

Plot/Pacing

The plot centers around Auggie's first year in public school, navigating fifth grade. (Also, yay for homeschool rep!) It's not an incredibly twisty or riveting plotline in and of itself, but it's compelling in its own, quiet sort of way. The everyday events in the lives of the people in Auggie's life are relateable and sympathetic -- I especially related to Via, Justin, and Miranda's POVs, because I recently graduated high school myself, and a lot of their struggles hit really close to home.

Writing/Theme

The message of the book was excellent -- a theme of kindness, forgiveness, and compassion that I believe is universal. Though the book is marketed as middle grade, I think that this book would appeal to many who have long since grown out of grade school, high school, even college. It's a lovely, heartwarming story.

Content 

Recommended for ages 8 and up.

Bullying. Name calling. One character punches another character in the face. Several boys are attacked by older boys, and a fight ensues, not described in detail. 
Several instances of bathroom humor.
I don't recall any specific instances of swearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog