Thursday, August 29, 2019

Wires and Nerve [Wires and Nerve, #1] by Marissa Meyer

This review contains spoilers for The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer. 


Wires and Nerve [Wires and Nerve, #1]
by Marissa Meyer

Genre: YA dystopian graphic novel

My Rating: ★★★

Description:

The war with Luna is over. Under the rule of Queen Selene, peace between Earth and the Moon seems finally possible. But rogue wolf-soldier packs are threatening the alliance.
It's up to spunky android Iko to try to keep the peace -- before the tenuous treaty between Earth and Luna snaps.

Overall Thoughts

When I heard about Wires and Nerve, I was naturally really excited. A graphic novel set in the Lunar Chronicles universe? That features cameos from characters I'd grown to love in the original four-book series? Yes, of course I want to read it! However, when I actually got around to picking it up, it kind of disappointed me. While it's definitely not a horrible book, it is wanting, especially compared to the original series.

The Characters

The characters... were okay. I liked Iko a lot, but I didn't really care very much about any of the others (even the ones I'd grown to love and care about in the Lunar Chronicles! Which makes me really sad.) Thorne was a bit over the top goofy at times, which I didn't appreciate, and none of the other characters really got enough page time for me to get a sense of who they are now after the war. I think Winter and Jacin only made it into one scene. And Kinney? Honestly, I remember very little about him, which probably isn't a good thing.

Plot/Pacing

The plot was solid and enjoyable. It's basically exploring what happened to the rest of the Lunar Special Operatives still on Earth after the Lunar Revolution, which I thought was interesting. Iko has become a sort of spy/assassin who goes around the world to deal with the LSOPs who refuse to bow to the new Lunar queen. And then she finds out about a bigger plot that threatens the peace treaty, and... well, things happen. I did really enjoy the plot, and so that's a definite plus for the story. 

Worldbuilding

The world was perfect, though. I mean, we are talking about the world of the Lunar Chronicles, so... 
The graphic novel never really went into talking about any of the details of the world or anything, but I still liked it because the world building definitely builds off the original series.

Art 

As for the art style... don't get me started. It didn't fit the feel that the Lunar Chronicles gave me at all! It was almost too cartoony for my tastes. Also, the guys all looked exactly the same. Not great when you're trying to keep track of who's saying what. The cover art is lovely, but most of the images in the book don't even come close to it. 

Overall, a solid graphic novel, but nothing special. Keep your expectations low for this one. 

Content

Recommended for ages 12 and up.

Some sci-fi violence. Kissing. I can't recall anything else?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog