Saturday, August 24, 2019

My Birthday Haul (aka: my reading list for the next six months)

What more can a bookworm ask for than a trip to a used bookstore for her birthday? With a cap-off trip to Chapters thrown in?
Last Friday my Mom took me shopping for my birthday, which involved a lot of books and a lot of excitement, followed by a lot of indecisiveness because now I've got a lot of new books to choose among for my next read!

Check out the stack I managed to find. (We have the most fantastic used bookstore in our fair city. Good books + reasonable prices = a happy bookworm.)



And here's the comprehensive list for anyone who's interested (basically, these books are going to be the ones I'm reviewing for the next couple months. :P)

~ Code Name Verity by Elizabeth E. Wein (An award winner with a 4 star average on Goodreads.)
~ This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (All of Schwab's books sound so interesting; when I saw this one, I knew I had to try it!)
~ The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye (I got this because a friend of mine bought it a while back, and it looks interesting. We'll see how it is.)
~ The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon (I'm really excited to read this one, as it's supposed to be very good and is also outside of my usual genres.)
~ Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (This book has such high ratings on Goodreads, and those have to come from somewhere, right? Plus, it has a gorgeous cover.)
~ Spindle Fire by Lexa Hillyer (You got me at retelling)
~ Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim (A Chinese inspired fantasy? I'm all in!)
~ Caraval by Stephanie Garber (This book is supposed to be really good... I barely know anything of what it's about because I didn't even read the jacket description and I've forgotten most of what I read about it before. But hey, I love surprises!)
~ Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson (The main character has synesthesia, apparently, and I'm really curious to read about someone with this unique condition!)
~ The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (A dark superhero-type story. Intriguing...)
~ Legend by Marie Lu (A popular YA dystopian I haven't read yet... I haven't had much luck with YA dystopia this past year, so let's hope that this one is good!)
~ The Rule of Three by Eric Walters (It's by a Canadian author, and it's been on my tbr list for a while.)
~ Heist Society by Ally Condie (I've wanted to try Ally Condie's writing for a while, so I decided to give this one a try!)
~ An Ember in the Ashes and A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir (I found the second book at a reuse store, and then picked up the first one at Chapters so I can start the series! I'm really hoping I like it.)

And there you have it! Have you read any of the books here? What did you think of them (no spoilers, please!) Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, going to the bookstore for your birthday is always amazing! :-D (Happy birthday, btw!) I've only read Code Name Verity, and I didn't finish it because it had too much content for a 14-year-old, in my opinion. It's an amazing story though. :-) I can't wait to read your reviews on all the other books!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. :D Book lover's dream. (Thanks!)
      Yes, I've heard Code Name Verity has some content, which is why I've put off reading it for so long. I'm glad to hear it has a good story, though!
      I can't wait to read all the other books! XP Hopefully I'll be able to give out some new recommendations soon.

      Delete

Popular on This Blog