Saturday, April 25, 2020

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, & Brodi Ashton [Spoiler Free Book Review]

My Lady Jane [The Lady Janies, #1]
by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton

Genre: YA historical fantasy

My Rating: ★★★★

Description:

Sometimes history gets it all wrong. 
This is the story of Lady Jane Grey, in a way that it's never been told before. 




Overall Thoughts

This book was, in a word, fun. It wasn't world changing. It didn't really make me think, or impact me in any great way. It probably will be forgotten a few decades down the road. But oh boy was this book just a heck of a good time.
It's lighthearted and fluffy, which makes it a perfect read for right now.

The Characters

These characters were not deep. They weren't incredibly complex. But they were still fun to read about, you know, as in the sense that Marvel movies are still fun to watch. The characters aren't particularly well developed, but no one honestly cares very much, because they're still fun characters.
That was definitely the case here. I liked all the major characters, though I did have issues with one character's obsession with girls. It wasn't a huge part of the story, though, so I was able to ignore it.

Plot/Pacing

The plot for this book is absolutely ridiculous, true to a comedy form. It also has some elements of history woven in, so some of the events do align with real historical events.
The pacing is great; the book sucks you in and keeps you hooked through simple prose and a fast-moving plot.

Worldbuilding/Writing

The writing was not phenomenal, but that's not what I was expecting. It's a fun, light hearted comedy, and that's what the writing reflected.
The worldbuilding was a mashup of actual historical worldbuilding and the random addition of shapeshifting, which just added another layer to the already ridiculous (in the best way) plot. I thought it was fun.

Content

Recommended for ages 15 and up.

A few mild swear words. I don't recall any extremely offensive words being used.
There's some violence, but more along the lines of cartoon violence than anything else. Nothing extremely graphic.
In terms of sexual content, there are quite a few instances of sexual jokes/innuendo. Descriptions of women's bodies (in a sexual manner.) Kissing. Numerous instances of nudity.
A very brief sex scene, without much description (it's more implied).




2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm hoping to read this one this month, and I'm glad to see you liked it! I've heard that it wasn't earth-shattering or anything, so I'm saving it for when I need something light between all my dark fantasy reads. It sounds like a really funny read! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not earth-shattering, but definitely refreshingly light and fun. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Popular on This Blog