Friday, May 10, 2019

Book Review: Archenemies by Marissa Meyer

This review contains spoilers for Renegades. To read my full review for Renegades, please follow the link here.


Archenemies [Renegades, #2]
by Marissa Meyer

Genre: YA post-apocalyptic

My Rating: ★★★

Description:

With crime on the rise in Gatlon City, the Renegade Council approves the use of a horrifying new substance -- one that could threaten not only the Anarchists, but all Prodigies. 
Nova's alter ego, Nightmare, is legally dead. Now, her cover in the Renegades should be more secure than ever, but she is still terrified of discovery. Her mission is clear -- find the helmet of Ace Anarchy, and figure out a way to weaponize the Renegades own Agent N against them. 
Meanwhile, Adrian's cover as Sentinel is becoming perilous. Sentinel has been declared a threat to the Renegade's order, and an order for his arrest has been put out. But Adrian is sure that the Sentinel is someone the city needs -- a person who will fight for justice even at the risk of breaking the Renegade code. 
Over everything, questions arise -- is Nightmare really dead? How far will the Anarchists and the Renegades go in the struggle for power? And above all, when the time comes to choose sides, who will Nova pledge loyalty? 

Overall Thoughts

I had high hopes for this novel. After the cliff-hanger ending in Renegades, I was desperate for more story! However, after reading the first couple chapters, I have to say I was disappointed. These chapters, while full of action, felt almost like a first-draft attempt, with little to no revision. There were some strange POV mistakes -- Adrian, at one point during the fight scene, becomes an almost omniscient narrator which I found both odd and jarring.
I'm glad to say that after the first six or so chapters, the writing style improved, and the chapters and POV fell back into their ordinary places. I only wish that Meyer had spent more time on these opening chapters.

The Characters

The Anarchists still hold their place as some of my favorite characters. I feel that their personalities are well-rounded, and each of their voices was very distinct from the others', so I was never confused. Ruby and Oscar still made me smile, and I'm excited to see where their relationship will go in the final book. Max is also an interesting character. 
Nova's characterization was good. She has a lot of doubts and conflicted motivations, but overall her character arc was consistent. 
Adrian's character, however, disappointed me. Although he was tolerable as a character in Renegades, merely being overshadowed by the better developed characters, in Archenemies he became not only flat, but annoying. I hope that this improves in the last book. 
The Council members also seemed fairly one-dimensional, although some of them did get more development than in Renegades. I can't say I'm particularly attached to any of them.   

Plot

Though well-paced with plenty of action, there is not much real change in the overall story arc until the last quarter of the book. I still enjoyed the story, but I feel that more advancement could have been made before the final act.

Worldbuilding

Not much of the setting has changed since the first book; however, new worldbuilding elements did come into play. The Agent N was a new and terrifying aspect of the world. There were times when I was on the edge of my seat, begging Meyer to spare her characters and not to let Nova get affected by it. 

Content

Recommended for ages 15 and up.

In terms of violence, there were several action scenes involving characters being wounded, characters using their powers on other characters (in a negative way.) One character dies a semi-detailed death on-page. Descriptions of blood and characters' wounds; one child is badly injured. 
A chemical is injected and used in a gaseous state to affect other Prodigies. 
In terms of sexual content, there were several mentions of kissing, of wanting to touch the other person (sexually), and one intense kissing scene between two major characters. Again, there are two gay characters who are in a relationship.
Swearing was confined to minor cussing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular on This Blog